This is the story of my research journey through a coral spawning field season. I'm a graduate student studying ecology, evolution and behavior at the University of Texas at Austin. The species that I study lives exclusively in the Indo-Pacific, so this blog will document my preparation, execution and hopefully successes of experiments on the significance of fluorescence variation in reef-building corals.
Sunday, November 9, 2014
We have spawn! At least some, of the species I'm not aiming for. This is showing an Acropora tenuis spawning. This species spawns right at dusk, a few minutes after sunset. Many other people here are aiming to study eggs/sperm/larvae from this species. Here you can see the colony on the bottom of the bin and the film of egg/sperm bundles that have collected on the surface of the water. These eggs and sperm will be collected with cups and taken away for further experiments. We use red light because the corals react strongly to white light that is usually emitted from headlamps and flashlights. It's said that they aren't able to sense the red light only, so that is why it is used. If I was to use the flash on my camera I could have gotten a better photo for you all, but I would be prosecuted if I was to flash white light on the spawning corals. Acropora millepora spawn two hours after Acropora tenuis, so I am taking a short break from the madness since my corals need to sit a while longer. It's possible that the A. millepora won't go tonight, it's hard to tell. Another hour and we will know for certain.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.